The customs house was constructed in 1681 with an elaborate plaster ceiling made by John Abbott being one of the biggest talking points at the time. 

View a fantastic panoramic view of the Exeter Quay including the customs house by clicking here


The customs house was in use by HM Customs and Excise until 1989.


Below view some archive Express and Echo articles looking at how the Customs House made the news over the years.